• About
  • Advertise
  • Careers
  • Contact
Friday, May 22, 2026
No Result
View All Result
NEWSLETTER
mynewssourceonline
  • Home
  • Politics
  • Entertainment
  • Business
  • Legal
  • Sports
  • Lifestyle
  • World
  • Opinion
  • Home
  • Politics
  • Entertainment
  • Business
  • Legal
  • Sports
  • Lifestyle
  • World
  • Opinion
No Result
View All Result
mynewssourceonline
No Result
View All Result
Home Africa

Sierra Leone becomes latest African country to receive deportees from US

The agreement marks another expansion of U.S. deportation arrangements with African nations amid growing migration

by admin
May 22, 2026
in Africa
0
Sierra Leone US
0
SHARES
0
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

Sierra Leone has become the latest African country to receive migrants deported from the United States amid Donald Trump’s crackdown on illegal immigration.

A plane carrying nine West African migrants landed at Sierra Leone’s international airport, just outside the capital, Freetown, on Wednesday morning.

Last week, Foreign Minister Timothy Musa Kabba told the Reuters news agency that his country had agreed to accept up to 300 people a year who are expelled by the United States.

However, he added that the new arrivals must originally come from member states of Ecowas, West Africa’s economic bloc.

The US has already sent deportees to several other African countries, including the Democratic Republic of Congo, Ghana, and South Sudan.

Dozens of migrants have been flown to third countries – i.e., nations that the deportees had not lived in prior to arriving in the US – since President Donald Trump came to power in January last year.

The mass deportation of illegal migrants was a key part of his campaign for re-election.

On Wednesday, the BBC witnessed the nine deportees arrive at Sierra Leone’s airport via a Boeing charter flight.

The group consisted of seven men and two women, all of whom looked forlorn. One deportee even resisted leaving the plane before being physically removed.

Five are from Ghana, two from Guinea, and one each from Nigeria and Senegal, officials told the BBC.

Under the ECOWAS agreements, citizens of one member country can stay in another member country for up to 90 days.

However, Kenvah Solutions, the private company housing the migrants, told the BBC the migrants would only be allowed to stay at their facilities for two weeks and would then be sent to their home countries.

According to a minority report from the US Senate’s Committee on Foreign Relations, the Trump administration has “likely” spent more than $40m (£30m) in third-country deportations up to January 2026, although the total cost is “unknown”.

The authorities in Sierra Leone have not said what they have received in return for accepting the deportees.

Critics warn that deportations to third countries violate international human rights standards and put vulnerable migrants at risk.

Last September, Human Rights Watch urged African nations to reject the “opaque deals”, arguing that they were “designed to instrumentalize human suffering”.

Like Sierra Leone, Ghana said it would only accept deportees from Ecowas countries.

“We agreed with [the US] that West African nationals were acceptable,” Ghanaian President John Mahama said in September.
“All our fellow West African nationals don’t need visas to come to our country.”
Those deported to DR Congo, South Sudan and Eswatini have come from countries further afield, such as Colombia, Cuba, Mexico and Vietnam.

Tags: Sierra LeoneU.S.
admin

admin

Next Post
Ebola WHO

Ebola vaccine could take nine months as death toll rises further, WHO warns

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Recommended

Zelensky Europeans peace

Zelensky’s assessment darkens as Europeans gather to talk peace

5 months ago
My husband battled with a serious illness not poisoning – Lilian Kumah

My husband battled with a serious illness not poisoning – Lilian Kumah

2 years ago

Popular News

  • U-17 AFCON

    U-17 AFCON: Ghana to face Uganda in World Cup play-off after drawing of lots denies Black Starlets quarter-final berth

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Neymar to miss games after suffering latest injury setback following 2026 World Cup call-up

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • ‘We’ll go down in history’ – Villa new heroes triumph to end 30-year wait

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Africa Prosperity Network applauds Togo’s historic visa-free decision

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Bank of Ghana mops up GH¢18.88bn through 14-day bill

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0

Connect with us

  • About
  • Advertise
  • Careers
  • Contact
Call us: +233208991455

© 2025 Mynewssourceonline - All rights reserved

Powered by
►
Necessary cookies enable essential site features like secure log-ins and consent preference adjustments. They do not store personal data.
None
►
Functional cookies support features like content sharing on social media, collecting feedback, and enabling third-party tools.
None
►
Analytical cookies track visitor interactions, providing insights on metrics like visitor count, bounce rate, and traffic sources.
None
►
Advertisement cookies deliver personalized ads based on your previous visits and analyze the effectiveness of ad campaigns.
None
►
Unclassified cookies are cookies that we are in the process of classifying, together with the providers of individual cookies.
None
Powered by
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Banking
  • Legal
  • Sports
  • Lifestyle
  • World
  • Opinion

© 2025 Mynewssourceonline - All rights reserved