• About
  • Advertise
  • Careers
  • Contact
Friday, May 22, 2026
No Result
View All Result
NEWSLETTER
mynewssourceonline
  • Home
  • Politics
  • Entertainment
  • Business
  • Legal
  • Sports
  • Lifestyle
  • World
  • Opinion
  • Home
  • Politics
  • Entertainment
  • Business
  • Legal
  • Sports
  • Lifestyle
  • World
  • Opinion
No Result
View All Result
mynewssourceonline
No Result
View All Result
Home Africa

Ebola vaccine could take nine months as death toll rises further, WHO warns

Health officials say delays in vaccine development could worsen the outbreak as fatalities continue to climb across affected regions

by admin
May 22, 2026
in Africa
0
Ebola WHO
0
SHARES
1
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

The World Health Organization (WHO) says it could take up to 9 months for a vaccine against this particular Ebola species to be ready.

Two possible “candidate vaccines” against the Bundibugyo species are being developed, but neither has yet entered clinical trials, WHO advisor Dr. Vasee Moorthy said on Wednesday.

WHO chief Dr Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said there have been 600 suspected cases of Ebola and 139 suspected deaths, but numbers are expected to rise given the time taken to detect the virus.

Speaking to journalists in Geneva, he said 51 cases have been confirmed in the Democratic Republic of Congo – where the first case was reported – and two in neighbouring Uganda.

On Sunday, the WHO declared a public health emergency of international concern, but said it was not at pandemic level.

Tedros said that after meeting on Tuesday, the health organization’s emergency committee agreed the situation was “not a pandemic emergency”.

“WHO assesses the risk of the epidemic as high at the national and regional levels and low at the global level,” he explained.

The 51 cases confirmed in DR Congo are in its eastern Ituri province – the epicentre of the outbreak – as well as North Kivu province. Of the two confirmed in Uganda’s capital, Kampala, both had travelled from DR Congo, one of whom has died.
“We know the scale of the epidemic in DRC is much larger,” the WHO chief said, adding that healthcare workers were among those who had died, which was a particular concern.

Local health workers say some facilities are being overwhelmed. Although personal protective equipment has started to arrive, they say they are still working without adequate protection.

Trish Newport, a Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) emergency program manager, said health facilities are telling them: ” We are full of suspected cases.” We don’t have any space.

“This gives you a vision of how crazy it is right now,” she told AFP news agency.
The UK government has announced it will provide up to £20m to help to contain the outbreak. The money will pay for frontline health workers, improved infection control, and disease surveillance.

A WHO official said investigations were underway to determine how long the virus had been spreading, but that their priority was to curb transmission.

The first known case was a nurse who developed symptoms and died on 24 April, in Ituri’s provincial capital Bunia.

The body was repatriated to Mongwalu, one of two gold-mining towns where the majority of cases have been reported.

Araali Bagamba, a lecturer who lives in Bunia, said people understand how dangerous the situation is.

“For the last three days I haven’t shaken anyone’s hand and I observe that within the general population,” she told the BBC World Service Newsday programme. “It’s our habit to shake hands all the time… [but] the habit has changed.”
Ebola is spread through direct contact with bodily fluids and through broken skin, causing severe bleeding and organ failure.

Bagamba said people “believe it will get worse before it gets better” because people did not initially realize it was Ebola.

Ebola was first discovered in 1976 in what is now DR Congo, and is thought to have spread from bats.

There are four species of Ebola known to cause disease in humans, including Zaire, which DR Congo has dealt with on numerous occasions and is most familiar with.

The country is facing its 17th outbreak of Ebola, but the Bundibugyo species – which has not been seen for more than a decade – brings its own difficulties.

Bundibugyo has only caused two previous outbreaks – in Uganda in 2007 and DR Congo in 2012 – when it killed about a third of those infected.

Although less deadly than other Ebola species, the rarity of Bundibugyo means there are fewer tools to stop it.

There is no approved vaccine for Bundibugyo, but experimental ones are in development. It is possible that a vaccine for Zaire may offer some protection.

Speaking alongside Tedros on Wednesday, WHO advisor Moorthy said one possible vaccine currently under development “would be the equivalent of” the only vaccine currently available to prevent the spread of Ebola. This is only effective against Zaire.

“This needs to be prioritized as the most promising Bundibugyo candidate vaccine,” he explained.

Tags: EbolaWorld Health Organization (WHO)
admin

admin

Next Post
Nvidia Wall Street

Nvidia Q1 results surpass Wall Street expectations thanks to massive AI chip demand

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Recommended

Adu-Boahene NSB

Adu-Boahene trial: No record of GH¢49.1M theft at NSB, AG’s witness says

2 months ago
High Court Dismisses Action Challenging Legality of Ghana Law Society

High Court Dismisses Action Challenging Legality of Ghana Law Society

2 months ago

Popular News

  • U-17 AFCON

    U-17 AFCON: Ghana to face Uganda in World Cup play-off after drawing of lots denies Black Starlets quarter-final berth

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Neymar to miss games after suffering latest injury setback following 2026 World Cup call-up

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • ‘We’ll go down in history’ – Villa new heroes triumph to end 30-year wait

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Africa Prosperity Network applauds Togo’s historic visa-free decision

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Bank of Ghana mops up GH¢18.88bn through 14-day bill

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0

Connect with us

  • About
  • Advertise
  • Careers
  • Contact
Call us: +233208991455

© 2025 Mynewssourceonline - All rights reserved

Powered by
►
Necessary cookies enable essential site features like secure log-ins and consent preference adjustments. They do not store personal data.
None
►
Functional cookies support features like content sharing on social media, collecting feedback, and enabling third-party tools.
None
►
Analytical cookies track visitor interactions, providing insights on metrics like visitor count, bounce rate, and traffic sources.
None
►
Advertisement cookies deliver personalized ads based on your previous visits and analyze the effectiveness of ad campaigns.
None
►
Unclassified cookies are cookies that we are in the process of classifying, together with the providers of individual cookies.
None
Powered by
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Banking
  • Legal
  • Sports
  • Lifestyle
  • World
  • Opinion

© 2025 Mynewssourceonline - All rights reserved