• About
  • Advertise
  • Careers
  • Contact
Friday, May 22, 2026
No Result
View All Result
NEWSLETTER
mynewssourceonline
  • Home
  • Politics
  • Entertainment
  • Business
  • Legal
  • Sports
  • Lifestyle
  • World
  • Opinion
  • Home
  • Politics
  • Entertainment
  • Business
  • Legal
  • Sports
  • Lifestyle
  • World
  • Opinion
No Result
View All Result
mynewssourceonline
No Result
View All Result
Home Mains

Ablakwa’s SA xenophobia evacuation put on hold

Government says plans to evacuate Ghanaians affected by xenophobic tensions in South Africa have been temporarily suspended

by admin
May 21, 2026
in Mains, News
0
Ablakwa’s xenophobia evacuation

Samual Okudzeto Ablakwa, Minister for Foreign Affairs

0
SHARES
1
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

The Minister for Foreign Affairs, Samual Okudzeto Ablakwa, has announced a temporary postponement of the planned evacuation of Ghanaian nationals from South Africa (SA) following the recent xenophobic attacks in parts of the country. 

In a May 21, 2026, statement issued by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, authorities disclosed that the evacuation exercise, originally scheduled to begin on Thursday, May 21, has been deferred for a few days to allow officials to complete critical logistical and legal requirements for the operation. 

According to the ministry, more than 800 Ghanaians currently residing in South Africa have registered with Ghana’s High Commission in Pretoria, expressing their desire to return home due to fears over the latest wave of attacks targeting foreign nationals. 

The ministry explained that the scale of the evacuation operation, coupled with South African legal and aviation requirements, has necessitated a brief delay to ensure that all conditions are met before flights can commence. 

“The Ministry of Foreign Affairs wishes to provide an update on the evacuation of Ghanaians from South Africa, which was scheduled to commence today, 21st May, 2026.  

The Government of Ghana notes that more than 800 Ghanaians have registered with our High Commission in Pretoria seeking to be evacuated due to the latest wave of xenophobic attacks,” the statement said. 

Evacuation approved 

The government, on 12 May 2026, approved the immediate evacuation of 300 Ghanaians from South Africa following a renewed wave of xenophobic attacks in parts of the country. 

Minister for Foreign Affairs, Samuel Okudzeto Ablakwa, announced that President John Dramani Mahama had granted presidential approval for the evacuation exercise as part of efforts to protect affected Ghanaian nationals. 

According to the minister, the affected Ghanaians had earlier responded to an advisory issued by the Foreign Affairs Ministry and registered with Ghana’s High Commission in Pretoria for assistance and possible evacuation. 

“His Excellency John Dramani Mahama has granted presidential approval for the immediate evacuation of 300 Ghanaians in South Africa,” Ablakwa said in a Facebook post. 

“These distressed Ghanaians had earlier complied with the Foreign Ministry’s advisory and registered with our High Commission in Pretoria to be rescued following the latest wave of xenophobic attacks,” he added. 

Mr. Ablakwa reaffirmed the government’s commitment to ensuring the safety and welfare of Ghanaians both at home and abroad. 

“The Government of Ghana shall continue to safeguard the welfare of all Ghanaians, at home and abroad,” he stated. 

The evacuation decision comes amid renewed concerns over xenophobic violence in South Africa, where foreign nationals and businesses owned by other African migrants, including Ghanaians, have periodically come under attack. 

Full statement 

Below is the full statement of the Minister for Foreign Affairs issued on 21 May 2026.  

“The Ministry of Foreign Affairs wishes to provide an update on the evacuation of Ghanaians from South Africa, which was scheduled to commence today, 21s May, 2026. 

The Government of Ghana notes that more than 800 Ghanaians have registered with our High Commission in Pretoria seeking to be evacuated due to the latest wave of xenophobic attacks 

Considering the numbers involved and the South African legal requirements, including mandatory passenger screening, multi-institutional coordination, and flight permits, the planned evacuation has been deferred by a few days to enable our High Commission to meet these conditions. 

Ghanaian and South African authorities have agreed to enhanced and more efficient pre- evacuation modalities to expedite the process 

Meanwhile, senior government officials on both sides remain actively engaged in this important exercise. 

The Government of Ghana assures its nationals in South Africa that it is making every effort to ensure their safe return home. We commend them for their remarkable understanding and patience. 

We shall continue to keep the public apprised in a transparent and timely manner consistent with our good govern

Tags: Minister for Foreign Affairs and Regional IntegrationSamual Okudzeto Ablakwa
admin

admin

Next Post
Minister Banking Victims

“I Can’t Pay You” – Minister to Banking Clean-Up Victims

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Recommended

Congo gold

DR Congo opens first gold refinery to enhance value addition

2 months ago
Abronye DC BNI Abronye’s bail Attorney-General Abronye Abronye bail

High Court adjourns Abronye’s bail application to Thursday after Attorney-General requests more time

2 days ago

Popular News

  • U-17 AFCON

    U-17 AFCON: Ghana to face Uganda in World Cup play-off after drawing of lots denies Black Starlets quarter-final berth

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Neymar to miss games after suffering latest injury setback following 2026 World Cup call-up

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • ‘We’ll go down in history’ – Villa new heroes triumph to end 30-year wait

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Africa Prosperity Network applauds Togo’s historic visa-free decision

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Bank of Ghana mops up GH¢18.88bn through 14-day bill

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0

Connect with us

  • About
  • Advertise
  • Careers
  • Contact
Call us: +233208991455

© 2025 Mynewssourceonline - All rights reserved

Powered by
►
Necessary cookies enable essential site features like secure log-ins and consent preference adjustments. They do not store personal data.
None
►
Functional cookies support features like content sharing on social media, collecting feedback, and enabling third-party tools.
None
►
Analytical cookies track visitor interactions, providing insights on metrics like visitor count, bounce rate, and traffic sources.
None
►
Advertisement cookies deliver personalized ads based on your previous visits and analyze the effectiveness of ad campaigns.
None
►
Unclassified cookies are cookies that we are in the process of classifying, together with the providers of individual cookies.
None
Powered by
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Banking
  • Legal
  • Sports
  • Lifestyle
  • World
  • Opinion

© 2025 Mynewssourceonline - All rights reserved