• About
  • Advertise
  • Careers
  • Contact
Sunday, November 30, 2025
No Result
View All Result
NEWSLETTER
mynewssourceonline
  • Home
  • Politics
  • Entertainment
  • Business
  • Legal
  • Sports
  • Lifestyle
  • World
  • Opinion
  • Home
  • Politics
  • Entertainment
  • Business
  • Legal
  • Sports
  • Lifestyle
  • World
  • Opinion
No Result
View All Result
mynewssourceonline
No Result
View All Result
Home Tech

South Korean president calls for aggressive AI spending in budget speech

South Korea prioritizes AI with major funding push in national budget

by admin
November 5, 2025
in Tech, World
0
South Korean AI
0
SHARES
0
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

South Korean President Lee Jae Myung on Tuesday called for tripling the government spending on projects for expanding artificial intelligence infrastructure and technology in a budget speech.

Lee also called for lawmakers to approve a planned 8.2% increase in defence spending next year, which he said would help modernise the military’s weapons systems and reduce its reliance on the United States, as the allies’ military chiefs met in Seoul for annual security talks.

Most conservative opposition lawmakers boycotted Lee’s speech amid an ongoing rift over a criminal investigation into former President Yoon Suk Yeol’s brief imposition of martial law in December.

Lee’s speech came after South Korea last week hosted the leaders of major Pacific Rim nations for this year’s Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation meetings, which his government used to showcase its ambitions for AI and advance an effort at a trade deal with the U.S.

Stay up to date with the news and the best of AP by following our WhatsApp channel.

Lee Calls for Expanding AI Computing and Manufacturing

In his speech at the National Assembly, Lee highlighted his APEC diplomacy and a bilateral meeting with U.S. President Donald Trump, which he said eased uncertainties facing South Korea’s trade-dependent economy by securing lower tariffs on automobiles and computer chips, two of the country’s key exports.

He said the country was still facing a critical moment for “national survival” amid rapid changes in the global trade order and a “huge, transformative wave of AI.”

Lee said the proposed budget of 728 trillion won ($506 billion), which would represent an all-time high for government spending, would be the country’s “first budget to open the AI era.”

He called on the liberal-led legislature to approve 10.1 trillion won ($6.9 billion) in AI-related spending — more than triple this year’s level — to advance the country’s AI computing and manufacturing capabilities, with a particular focus on industries such as semiconductors, automobiles, shipbuilding, and robotics.

“Just as President Park Chung-Hee paved the highway for industrialization and President Kim Dae-jung built the highway for the information age, we must now construct the highway for the AI era to open a future of progress and growth,” Lee said, referring to major development drives under Park’s dictatorship in the 1960s and ’70s and Kim’s presidency from 1998 to 2003, which focused on expanding South Korea’s internet infrastructure.

Uncertainties Remain about Access to Key AI Chips

Lee said South Korean companies would have little difficulty securing the chips for their AI projects, citing a deal for Nvidia, whose GPUs power much of the global AI industry, to supply 260,000 graphics processing units for AI infrastructure projects with major South Korean businesses and the government.

The deal was announced following a meeting between Lee and Jensen Huang, the chief executive of the Silicon Valley company, during APEC.

It isn’t immediately clear when Nvidia — which has agreed to deliver 50,000 GPUs each to the government, chipmakers Samsung and SK, and automaker Hyundai, as well as another 60,000 to internet company Naver — will provide those chips.

Huang told reporters in South Korea that AI data centres and power networks must first be established before the company can begin shipping the GPUs.

Concerns have grown over the projects’ future after Trump said aboard Air Force One on Monday that only U.S. customers should have access to Nvidia’s latest Blackwell AI chips, declaring, “We don’t give that chip to other people.”

Increasing Defence Spending

Lee proposed a defence budget of 66.3 trillion won ($46 billion) for next year, which he said will focus on modernising the military’s weapons systems, including through the adoption of AI technologies, to make the armed forces more self-reliant.

“It’s a matter of national pride that South Korea, which spends 1.4 times North Korea’s annual GDP on defence and is perceived as the world’s fifth most powerful military, continues to depend on others for its security,” Lee said.

During his meeting with Trump, Lee reaffirmed South Korea’s commitment to increasing defence spending and called for U.S. support for South Korean efforts to acquire nuclear-powered submarines.

Trump later stated on social media that the United States will share closely held technology to allow South Korea to build a nuclear-powered submarine, and that the vessel will be built at the Philadelphia Shipyard in Philadelphia, which was acquired last year by South Korea’s Hanwha Group.

Lee’s speech came as U.S. Défense Secretary Pete Hegseth and South Korean Défense Minister Ahn Gyu-back were meeting in Seoul for the allies’ annual security talks.

The meeting is expected to address key alliance issues, including South Korea’s defence spending commitments and the implementation of a plan to transfer wartime operational control to a joint command led by a South Korean general with a U.S. deputy.

 

Tags: APECDonald TrumpHyundaiLee Jae MyungU.S.
admin

admin

Next Post
ECG London arbitration

ECG wins in London arbitration; PDS $390m claim dismissed

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Recommended

Tesla China sales

Tesla’s China sales fall to a 3-Year low amid tepid demand

3 weeks ago
Typhoon Philippines

Typhoon Fung-wong strengthens, menacing an already storm-stricken Philippines

3 weeks ago

Popular News

  • WAEC WASSCE results

    WAEC releases 2025 WASSCE results; cancels, withholds thousands over exam infractions

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • GPL: Poor results force Hearts to ditch Accra sports stadium for Legon

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Cobolli wins epic tie-break send Italy into final

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Is ‘Immense’ Arsenal the most formidable team in Europe?

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Moravian stars light up Germany’s christmas season

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0

Connect with us

  • About
  • Advertise
  • Careers
  • Contact
Call us: +233208991455

© 2025 Mynewssourceonline - All rights reserved

Powered by
...
►
Necessary cookies enable essential site features like secure log-ins and consent preference adjustments. They do not store personal data.
None
►
Functional cookies support features like content sharing on social media, collecting feedback, and enabling third-party tools.
None
►
Analytical cookies track visitor interactions, providing insights on metrics like visitor count, bounce rate, and traffic sources.
None
►
Advertisement cookies deliver personalized ads based on your previous visits and analyze the effectiveness of ad campaigns.
None
►
Unclassified cookies are cookies that we are in the process of classifying, together with the providers of individual cookies.
None
Powered by
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Banking
  • Legal
  • Sports
  • Lifestyle
  • World
  • Opinion

© 2025 Mynewssourceonline - All rights reserved