• About
  • Advertise
  • Careers
  • Contact
Thursday, August 20, 2026
No Result
View All Result
NEWSLETTER
mynewssourceonline
  • Home
  • Politics
  • Entertainment
  • Business
  • Legal
  • Sports
  • Lifestyle
  • World
  • Opinion
  • Home
  • Politics
  • Entertainment
  • Business
  • Legal
  • Sports
  • Lifestyle
  • World
  • Opinion
No Result
View All Result
mynewssourceonline
No Result
View All Result
Home Africa

US withdraws troops from Nigeria after Islamic State mission

The troop withdrawal follows the completion of a mission targeting Islamic State-linked militants, marking a shift in U.S. military engagement in Nigeria

by admin
July 6, 2026
in Africa
0
US Nigeria

The US said the operation had "significantly degraded" IS leadership in Nigeria

0
SHARES
3
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

The United States has withdrawn most of the troops it deployed in Nigeria earlier this year in an effort to help fight Islamist militant groups.

In December, US and Nigerian forces launched a joint operation in the Lake Chad Basin area, which involved strikes against militants on Christmas Day, followed by the deployment of about 200 soldiers two months later.

Senior Islamic State (IS) leader Abu-Bilal al-Minuki was killed during the months-long mission.

On Thursday, the US said the operation had been a success, while Nigeria’s military spokesperson told the BBC the withdrawal of US soldiers would “not affect our momentum in any way”.

Despite the operations, jihadist groups continue to stage attacks, especially in north-eastern Nigeria.

Maj-Gen Michael Onoja said intelligence-sharing between the two countries would continue, which the US military also said in its briefing.

Military cooperation between Nigeria and the US increased after Washington accused Nigerian authorities of not doing enough to protect vulnerable groups against Islamist militants, and alleged there was a “Christian genocide” in the country.

Nigeria has firmly rejected this claim, saying the violence is complex and affects people from all communities.
Organizations monitoring political violence in Nigeria say most victims of the jihadist groups are Muslims because they mostly operate in the north of the country, where most people follow Islam.

Earlier this year, the US said it would deploy about 200 troops to support Nigeria’s counter-insurgency efforts, while stressing that its forces would not take part in ground combat.

Announcing that most of these troops had now left, General Dagvin Anderson, Commander of US Air Forces in Africa, said on Thursday that the operation had been successful and that IS’ leadership in Nigeria had been “significantly degraded”.

IS has radically shifted in recent years, with around 90% of its attacks now taking place in sub-Saharan Africa, analysts say. Its Nigeria-based branch is by far the most active.

Anderson said that the group’s local command structure and its wider global network had both been disrupted by the joint operation, limiting its ability to communicate.

Despite the withdrawal, US military personnel stationed in Nigeria before the Lake Chad Basin operation have remained in the country, military spokesperson Major General Samaila Uba told the BBC.

Nigeria faces multiple security challenges. Along with Islamist militants, banditry and criminal violence plague the country, having spread from the north into parts of central and southern Nigeria.

Tags: NigeriaU.S.
admin

admin

Next Post
Court dismisses Abronye’s action seeking to stop GHc 20m COCOBOD CEO defamation case

Court dismisses Abronye's action seeking to stop GHc 20m COCOBOD CEO defamation case

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Recommended

treasury bills

Govt misses treasury bills target by 10.39%

4 months ago
British Mahama Russia

British analyst: Mahama is a Russia sympathizer

10 months ago

Popular News

  • AAC Secures 750 Acres of Irrigated Land for Vegetable Production Under MoFA Partnership

    AAC Secures 750 Acres of Irrigated Land for Vegetable Production Under MoFA Partnership

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Oppong Nkrumah To Gov’t: Allow Parliament to Scrutinise New IMF Deal

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Bribe Demands By Public Officers Up From 14% To 18% – GSS

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Complete Accra-Kumasi Road to Avert Accidents – Minority To Govt

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Genser Energy Buys Out Investor As Oppenheimer Exits After 5 Years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0

Connect with us

  • About
  • Advertise
  • Careers
  • Contact
Call us: +233208991455

© 2025 Mynewssourceonline - All rights reserved

Powered by
►
Necessary cookies enable essential site features like secure log-ins and consent preference adjustments. They do not store personal data.
None
►
Functional cookies support features like content sharing on social media, collecting feedback, and enabling third-party tools.
None
►
Analytical cookies track visitor interactions, providing insights on metrics like visitor count, bounce rate, and traffic sources.
None
►
Advertisement cookies deliver personalized ads based on your previous visits and analyze the effectiveness of ad campaigns.
None
►
Unclassified cookies are cookies that we are in the process of classifying, together with the providers of individual cookies.
None
Powered by
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Banking
  • Legal
  • Sports
  • Lifestyle
  • World
  • Opinion

© 2025 Mynewssourceonline - All rights reserved