• About
  • Advertise
  • Careers
  • Contact
Wednesday, May 20, 2026
No Result
View All Result
NEWSLETTER
mynewssourceonline
  • Home
  • Politics
  • Entertainment
  • Business
  • Legal
  • Sports
  • Lifestyle
  • World
  • Opinion
  • Home
  • Politics
  • Entertainment
  • Business
  • Legal
  • Sports
  • Lifestyle
  • World
  • Opinion
No Result
View All Result
mynewssourceonline
No Result
View All Result
Home Mains

High Court adjourns Abronye’s bail application to Thursday after Attorney-General requests more time

The court postponed the hearing to allow the Attorney-General’s office additional time to respond to the bail application filed by Abronye

by admin
May 20, 2026
in Mains, News
0
Abronye DC BNI Abronye’s bail Attorney-General

Abronye DC

0
SHARES
0
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

The High Court in Accra will on Thursday hear a bail application filed by the Bono Regional Chairman of the New Patriotic Party (NPP), Kwame Baffoe, popularly known as Abronye DC, after the Attorney-General sought more time to respond to the motion.

The court adjourned proceedings after the prosecution prayed for a short date to enable it to file its response to the bail application.

Counsel for Abronye opposed the request, arguing that the Republic had already been served with the application on May 14, 2026.

Abronye is currently facing one count of offensive conduct conducive to the breach of the peace and another count of publication of false news.

His legal team subsequently filed an application for bail pending trial, arguing that his continued detention infringed on his constitutional rights and raised concerns about his health and personal liberty.

Moving his opposition to the adjournment, Mr Dame described the prosecution’s request as “completely out of order”.

He argued that the Republic, which had custody of the accused person, had six clear days to respond to the motion before Wednesday’s proceedings.

“It is not in dispute that the rights and liberties of the accused person are in issue and are deposed to in the affidavit. Even his health is endangered,” he submitted.

Mr Dame prayed the court to hear the bail application, stressing that the matter concerned the liberty and rights of the accused person.

“We pray that having regard to the fact that the Republic was served with the application six days ago, we be heard on the motion for bail and same be considered by the court,” he added.

Republic’s response

Assistant State Attorney, Grace Delali Tali, however, told the court that although the Republic had been served on May 14, the period amounted to three clear days and not six.

She conceded that the motion was ripe for hearing but argued that the prosecution needed time to consult investigators and familiarise itself with the case before responding appropriately.

“Although I concede that the motion is ripe for hearing, the nature of the case is such that the Republic has to consult the investigators to familiarise itself with the case and appropriately respond, and that is why we are praying for a short adjournment,” she said.

Court ruling

In response, Mr Dame maintained that the application before the court was not a trial that required consultations with investigators.

“This is a simple application for bail. The factors are clearly set out in the Constitution and Act 30. The human rights of the accused person ought to be the more important consideration,” he said.

Ruling on the matter, the court said it had considered the Republic’s request and was obliged to grant it while balancing justice and the rights of the accused.

“The Republic has up to the close of today to file the necessary response,” the court ruled.

The case was subsequently adjourned to Thursday for hearing of the bail application.

Tags: Abronye DCNew Patriotic Party (NPP)
admin

admin

Next Post
NPP IMF

NPP disputes government’s claims on IMF programme completion

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Recommended

Trump plans to block FIFA attempt to ban Israel from 2026 World Cup

Trump plans to block FIFA attempt to ban Israel from 2026 World Cup

8 months ago
COCOBOD APL

COCOBOD policy missteps cause of 28.6% haircut – APL

3 months ago

Popular News

  • Standard Chartered AI

    Standard Chartered to cut 7,800 jobs as AI push reshapes global banking

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • ISODEC questions Ghana’s economic sovereignty under proposed IMF PCI

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • At least 131 dead in Ebola outbreak in DR Congo, official says

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Four killed in protests during Kenyan strikes over high fuel prices

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • NPP disputes government’s claims on IMF programme completion

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0

Connect with us

  • About
  • Advertise
  • Careers
  • Contact
Call us: +233208991455

© 2025 Mynewssourceonline - All rights reserved

Powered by
►
Necessary cookies enable essential site features like secure log-ins and consent preference adjustments. They do not store personal data.
None
►
Functional cookies support features like content sharing on social media, collecting feedback, and enabling third-party tools.
None
►
Analytical cookies track visitor interactions, providing insights on metrics like visitor count, bounce rate, and traffic sources.
None
►
Advertisement cookies deliver personalized ads based on your previous visits and analyze the effectiveness of ad campaigns.
None
►
Unclassified cookies are cookies that we are in the process of classifying, together with the providers of individual cookies.
None
Powered by
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Banking
  • Legal
  • Sports
  • Lifestyle
  • World
  • Opinion

© 2025 Mynewssourceonline - All rights reserved