• About
  • Advertise
  • Careers
  • Contact
Monday, May 18, 2026
No Result
View All Result
NEWSLETTER
mynewssourceonline
  • Home
  • Politics
  • Entertainment
  • Business
  • Legal
  • Sports
  • Lifestyle
  • World
  • Opinion
  • Home
  • Politics
  • Entertainment
  • Business
  • Legal
  • Sports
  • Lifestyle
  • World
  • Opinion
No Result
View All Result
mynewssourceonline
No Result
View All Result
Home Africa

Toddlers among more than 50 schoolchildren kidnapped in Nigeria

The mass abduction has sparked renewed fears over school safety as authorities launch efforts to rescue the children

by admin
May 18, 2026
in Africa
0
schoolchildren kidnapped Nigeria

Gunman

0
SHARES
1
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

Gunmen have kidnapped more than 50 children from three schools in the same town in north-eastern Nigeria, teachers and parents have told the BBC. Most of those missing are aged between two and five years old.

Eyewitnesses who saw the attacks on Friday morning in Mussa, Borno state, say the suspects used the children as human shields while fleeing on motorbikes, preventing security forces from opening fire.

No group has claimed responsibility for the attacks. Government officials have not responded to the BBC’s requests for comment, but a press statement issued on Saturday by Senator Ali Ndume of Borno South said at least 42 children had been abducted from two schools.

The kidnappings took place at the town’s Government Day Secondary School, Mussa Central Primary School, and State Universal Basic Education Board (SUBEB) Secondary School.

Some reports suggest the attacks bore the hallmark of Boko Haram – the Islamist group vying for control over the region against its rival faction, Islamic State West Africa Province (ISWAP).

Nigeria is currently grappling with a spate of mass abductions by a range of culprits.

Locals in Borno state have endured decades of insecurity. These latest attacks have prompted some residents of Mussa to flee the area.
Yet traumatized parents have told the BBC they feel they have no choice but to wait in anguish for news about their children.

One man, who did not want to be named for fear of reprisal, said his wife was inconsolable after their six-year-old daughter was snatched away by the gunmen.

The kidnap gangs, jihadists, and separatists are wreaking havoc in Nigeria

Operation against Nigerian kidnapping gang kills ‘200 bandits’ – official tells BBC

Abdu Dunama, headmaster of Mussa Central Primary School, described hearing gunfire before armed men stormed the school and rounded up children.

He said 34 children – mostly nursery pupils aged five and under – were seized by the attackers from their classrooms.

The suspected militants arrived at the schools on motorcycles soon after troops on patrol left the town, according to residents.

“[It was] immediately after they left, it was not up to 30 minutes after,” said Bukar Buba, whose daughter was taken.

Witnesses said the gunmen fired sporadically, forcing residents to run for cover. Many parents watched helplessly from a nearby hill as their children were loaded onto motorcycles and taken away.

Some older students managed to flee into nearby bushes during the chaos, according to residents.

The largely farming community – already struggling economically – is now appealing urgently to the government to help secure the safe return of the children.
Dunama, who is in touch with security forces, says troops are currently on the ground and continuing efforts to track the abductors.

Tags: schoolchildren kidnapped
admin

admin

Next Post
WHO Ebola Congo

WHO declares Ebola outbreak in DR Congo a global health emergency

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Recommended

Trump US war

Donald Trump rejects Iran’s response to the latest US proposal to end the war

5 days ago
Cash West Africa

Cash is fading in West Africa as fintech rewrites the rules of money

1 month ago

Popular News

  • healthy eating biblically

    Eating healthy? No, they’re eating biblically

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Trillions of miles of data: your car is spying on you, and it’s only the beginning

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • WHO declares Ebola outbreak in DR Congo a global health emergency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Toddlers among more than 50 schoolchildren kidnapped in Nigeria

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Berkshire buys Delta and more Alphabet; sheds Amazon, UnitedHealth, Visa, and Mastercard

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0

Connect with us

  • About
  • Advertise
  • Careers
  • Contact
Call us: +233208991455

© 2025 Mynewssourceonline - All rights reserved

Powered by
►
Necessary cookies enable essential site features like secure log-ins and consent preference adjustments. They do not store personal data.
None
►
Functional cookies support features like content sharing on social media, collecting feedback, and enabling third-party tools.
None
►
Analytical cookies track visitor interactions, providing insights on metrics like visitor count, bounce rate, and traffic sources.
None
►
Advertisement cookies deliver personalized ads based on your previous visits and analyze the effectiveness of ad campaigns.
None
►
Unclassified cookies are cookies that we are in the process of classifying, together with the providers of individual cookies.
None
Powered by
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Banking
  • Legal
  • Sports
  • Lifestyle
  • World
  • Opinion

© 2025 Mynewssourceonline - All rights reserved